Dawn of War Intervievs Part X - CAELTOS

This forum will probably suffice for this category.
egewithin
Level 5

Dawn of War Intervievs Part X - CAELTOS

Postby egewithin » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 4:04 pm

PRIMIRY NOTE : I promised a player to make an interviev with Red Rupee but I was unable to contact with him. Sorry about that if you can hear me.

Greetings citizens of Imperium! Today, I am going to make an interviev about someone sooooo special, so priceless, so valueble; even Orks may want to steal him. Today; the long waited interviev is going to happen... Today, all your question marks on your head are going to disappear... Today, we have the guy who saved one of the buggiest game of all time. We have the guy who fixed Zoan. We have guy... Whos name isss... Caeltos! Lets go!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your actual role in this comunity?

My main role is just to take in feedback from the community, evaluate it all, then cram it all into a nice patch. So that means, alot of watching games, playing games and thinking alot of outside the box, and think ahead. So, yeah- I do alot of planning and misc. activities, but I actually don't implement anything. I have my faithful and devoted servants (Myrdal, Wise etc) to do that for me.

How do you look like? I think everyone wonders it. :)

Some people have seen me, but that's a while ago now. I'm a slimy bastard, and I'm rocking a nice beard.

This might be a long post but, can you tell us how did this modding thing started for Elite?

Originally, it was just me and Kolaris (a modder back in the days, and mods in CoH2 iirc now). We started off relatively easy, just tinkering with general balance propositions and trying to fix some things. However, I grew more ambitious, and wanted to add more things into the game. This resulted in us parting ways, but on good terms. So I had to find another replacement, which turned out to be Lulgrim. Ever since day 1, I've always had someone do the work for me, and I really don't deserve as much praise as I get sometimes, it should be more directed towards the ones putting the actual thoughts & ideas and everything into work, which means Lulgrim, Wise Windu and Myrdal are the people you've ought to give credit for. My works mainly consists of just writing stuff down, watching games and being observant and trying to analyze what could work, and what is fun and all those non-misc activities that actually includes any programming skills. I tried abit, but it's not just my yam.

Either way, sidetracked on the subject - but Lulgrim is still around, just lurking more on the shadows, and we've branched out on the support now with volunteers from all over the place. It's all greatly appriciated.

Is there a story for the team you have? I mean how did you meet with Sterling and other modders.

No, not really. Mainly when the mod started off from the beginning, I tried to live off the success of my career in DoW2 to gain attention, and it worked. I doubt if I was a "nobody" , I wouldn't have yielded the same results. Alot of pre-established "fame" really helps out on that department. On another note, whilst vanilla was still around, I used to observe and watch out for all the DoW2 mods and works, that means I posted and exchanged messages with other modders, but they were mostly requests and stuff. But I guess, posting and showing appriciation for the works the modders puts in, can also be rewarding to you as a person if you wanna kickstart something.

Can you write down the story of a new patch? How do you decide what to change in order of what?

I listen, and sometimes converse with some game developers. They give you great insight as to what works, and why it works. For an example, Day9 has great insight on general game design, and he makes alot of great points that I try to strive towards. I also have conversed with some former-RIOT games designer, and we shared similiar opinions as to how a unit is designed, and how something is balanced, and all those fine-dandy details.

I can go into great lengths of details. But generally, when people are jumping to conclussions and saying "X is broken", it's very little to go on, and sometimes the "broken" factor is merely a timed-issue, but that can also intended by the designers themselves. However, it shouldn't be aggrovating and annoying to play against. It's important that the game is fun to play first and foremost. When you design something, it's important to understand that it's not going to work as you've probably expected.

Why patches sometimes takes forever is best summarized by Day9 in terms of general game design. I have alot of those issues, and thus - things takes longer then you expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrFKNk%20...%20u.be&t=123

Tell us something that pisses you off too much about this game.

The inconsistency of the game, due to the pacing.

How did you decide you add Grey Knights as the new faction of this game?

I happend to love the Grey Knights personally, and they were primarily the only 'new' faction produced by the modding community. When those things combined, I wanted to make something that was not like Chaos Space Marines, but not like Space Marines either. I wanted something that was abit of a hybrid of those, coupled with Eldar abilitiy-mechanics tied to them to turn the tide. Abit of a mixed result, but we're getting there.

To make somethings clear, IF there is going to be a new faction for mod, which race is it going to be?

I find it really difficult to decide, but I think I would preferably want to Dark Eldar or Necrons personally. Primarily based on their latest updates they've recieved. Necrons would probably the most insanely fun to do, but maybe the hardest. I've had some plans on both those factions, but you know- lack of modders makes dreams hard to make a reality. Necrons with a ramp-up, but slow faction would make it difficult to balance, but could be very unique in the sense in how they're presented. Dark Eldars would present you with a much more aggressive faction, but I think we have enough of those. Tau I fear, could be streamlined into two different playstyles (at least, that's my intended goal with them) to be Mont'ka or Kauyon. The three factions present three different unique ways to approach the game, that I feel would be different from what existingly have. It's a shame, none of them are likely to make an appearance however.

Why do you giving new patch informations part by part this time? :D

Mainly because I'm undecisive, and I want to see how the community reacts to small chunks of changelogs to get an indication if I'm doing it right, or wrong. I can also more easily backtrack and set things straight, and make sure are being propertly adressed.

Why did you choose Caeltos as nick name? And what is it btw?

I needed a name back in World of Warcraft, and Caeltos was something I ended up with. I doubt it had any significance, but Caeltos went onto the shelves a long time ago, and I actually turned my name into Gigamo later-on. Then I went back to this. I don't even think Caeltos was my original name in DoW2: Vanilla. I have a poor memory.

Imagine you are an internet site, but you are going to do your job on a table, visitors will come and will do the exact same thing what they do to website they visited. EG : You are YouTube and people are serching videos / You are Deviantart and people are giving you their paintings etc... What website would you like to be in this situation?

I know it's stupid, but maybe Reddit. You would be engulfed in the silliness.

Make you choice : Matrix or 300?

I prefer 300 to be honest. I only really enjoyed the first Matrix, but even then - it's abit too much for my liking nowadays. 300 is pretty much more straight to the point.

Tell us something that you learned from kindergarten.

These friends won't be around forever.

Tell us you learned something from highschool.

Taking a walk home from school, when one of your buddies burrowed your bike. Is the fastest and easiest way to lose all your friends in one-go. I won't go into more details, because I still remember that day clear as day, the repercussions were severe.

Tell us one villan / evil guy you would like to be.

Ozymandias from Watchmen.

What makes our community so awsome?

Despite it being relatively small, there's alot of gems in it.

Your biggest fear?

Dying alone, or making my parents dissapointed.

What is you job? If student, what student are you?

I studied to be an engineer. I've had some small time jobs here and there, but I really don't handle social acitivites very well, which means I'm restricted to when it comes to work.

What is your greatest ability that is effective on a female?

I'll say what one of my best friends girlfriend told me. "You're the nicest guy around, how come you haven't met a girl yet?" TL;DR - I'm a nice guy, and I care more for others then I care for my own well-being.

What makes Warhammer 40K lore so good?

Because it's so grim and dark.

What makes Warhammer 40K lore so bad?

Because it never goes anywhere with it's lore.

Best cartoon you have ever watched?

Cow & Chicken.

If you had to live together with a member of this forum in he same house, who is the person which will directly deleted from your list?

Tough call, but I would have to say Codex.

Tell us someone from Game of Thrones who deserves to be a Space Marine.

Pretty easy for me to say - Jon Snow. He kind of has this Deathwatch Space Marine theme all around him.

Politics and you? How is it going on there?

I don't care much for a pre-established political agrenda, and just driving on that rail until the end of times. You've gotta adapt with the time, and this means you're going to be swinging in your opinion, depending on the circumstances. I want something that I know that will work for the years to come, and when that fails, it'll be probably a different opinion.

Do you have abs?

No, but one of my brother has abs. Does that count?

Any last words to the members of this forum?

Please, stop being so insulting/(passive-)aggressive over a video game, espicially over on the forums. Even if they're being rude back at you, just ignore them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phew! That one was a long one. Feed from it untill I make another. Btw ;

Toilailee
Champion

Re: Dawn of War Intervievs Part X - CAELTOS

Postby Toilailee » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 5:02 pm

Caeltos Balance Mod
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 6:09 pm

Must be the best interview! Was very entertaining to read. Cow & Chicken is one of my favourite cartoons as well :D
And maybe it's just because im drunk but i was reading this interview like is was some Horus Heresy book..
bountyhunter571
Level 1

Postby bountyhunter571 » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 6:52 pm

firatwithin wrote:PRIMIRY NOTE : I promised a player to make an interviev with Red Rupee but I was unable to contact with him. Sorry about that if you can hear me.

No worries, that's one hell of a replacement. :D Nice interview. :)

But I still think we should encourage Red-Rupee back into casting again. :(
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 9:36 am

Best 1 me thinks very good questions and didnt feel to direct but causal. Necrons really?:p
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 4:31 pm

first link doesn't work for me
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 6:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrFKNk ... u.be&t=123

That's the link that won't work in the OP.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:39 am

I remember the beard well when Caeltos was showcasing 2.2 on stream. I asked for him for a close up and I think I got it.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 3:13 am

For those who care about general game design and such, and you've got 30 minutes to spare. Here's a good informative video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFxix7NJKN0

This applies to map makers as well.

Return to “Random Stuff”