Looking for Ork advice

Strategy and L2P topics.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Looking for Ork advice

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:09 am

Hi all,

Until the eldar a-move blob stops being flavour of the month I'm moving away from IG and learning to play orks.

My problem with orks is that I basically have 1 build with minor variances. I go for 2 shootas on top of the slugga squad, then either get stormboyz if my enemy has suppression or lootas if I am overwhelmed by superior melee. I get the burnas every time, and either 2 nobs or 2 big shootas depending on what I face (big shootas against eldar, nobs against everything else, both against tyranids).

After that its basically a T2 truk and beamy lootas for AV (plus any unpurchased nobs and weapon upgrades on T1 squads) - then ride out T2 until T3 at which point I go for a looted tank and then nobs if I have the money. If I hit T2 very early I might get a killa kan and try for some base rape or gen farm burning, but other than that I have a very fixed build.

Can experienced ork players give me an idea of when to use a painboy, stikkbombas, tankbustas (as opposed to lootas), kommandos, and flash gitz?

Any advice is appreciated.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Re: Looking for Ork advice

Postby Crewfinity » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:51 am

Oddnerd wrote:Hi all,
Can experienced ork players give me an idea of when to use a painboy, stikkbombas, tankbustas (as opposed to lootas), kommandos, and flash gitz?
Any advice is appreciated.

painboy vs chaos, sm, and nids. he's godly as countermelee with sluggas and makes them into a threat even without their burnas. very good at tying up units and the heal lets him support shootas if need be as well.

stikkbommaz vs double set up teams or IG. they have a vehicle snare which is nice vs chimeras and their stikkbomz wreck gm and hwt's.

tankbustas if u dont have lootas or want to keep their suppression, or if you have a trukk you can use them to take out walkers (move, unload, shoot, load in, move, repreat).

kommandoz are god mode vs anything, they're amazing. good vs setup teams and ranged blobs with thier nade, double capping speed and infiltration makes them amazing harassers and map control units, their high piercing dps and rokkit let them threaten anything on the field, and they setup abilities or support your army with kockback or their smoke shell.
fucking awesome unit. also has high melee damage. amazing vs eldar.

flash gitz are nice vs terminators. kinda outclassed by kommandoz otherwise.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 4:05 am

I wouldn't go painboy vs SM/CSM personally as it's too easy right now to just end up locked down by set up team spams which really sucks. Always go painboy vs other orks and nids though imo. Also SM get loads of knockback to negate that painboy heal which sucks.

Bustas are great with a wartrukk and vs melee walkers ( or bloodcrushers ) since they are more mobile than the lootas. Also their barrage is great vs IG for taking out bunkers (but is also nice vs all structures - shrines and turrets included) and the chimera and actually just doing damage to storms/gm. In fact I swear their default attack does solid damage to guardsmen anyways I always go bustas vs IG.

Stikks are a rare choice for me. Too req heavy on a race that has a super req heavy t2 and they do no av. Really bad if I went a stormboy t1 as usual. Only get vs set up team spam ( i.e. more than 3). Otherwise the weirdboy just does the role way better. I'd rather a webo vs IG over stikks anyday and the weirdboy does solid av too.

Kommandos are doing basically doing fully upgraded shoota dps in range, slugga boy melee damage, have aoe damage, kb on demand, infiltration, cap faster and the leader is essentially 3 infiltrating tankbustas. Wtf. These things are amazing.

Gitz are useful if you wanna bleed your foe to death - think an eldar stuck in t2 spamming warp spiders. Gitz just bleed them for days and being HI with 3 models don't really bleed themselves. They're kinda like ranged termies for SM in that manner. Ranged superiority unit to bleed the enemy unless they really commit to fights - alongside a dread they're epic, or with orcs alongside a webo/painboy/slugga squad combo. In both instances though you rarely go for this as it leaves you too vulnerable to tanks. But if tanks for whatever reason are not an issue it's a game winning combo. Vs termies (or any SHI really so GUO and ava too) though I'd just get nobs, way better, or a tank even.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
ComboBreaker
Level 0

Postby ComboBreaker » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 11:04 pm

How does play T1 and not bleed heavily with sluggas and shootas? Is it pointless to even try to get sluggas into thick of things if enemy has shotguns/grenade launchers?Even if you are full hp, get caught in a knockback blast and shot up right there.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 7:33 pm

I think with the changes implemented to stikkbommas, you could consider them the best setup unit that orks have now. You can launch the stun bombs every 15 seconds which means you can disrupt and approach, disrupt again with the stikkbombs, and then disrupt or snare with the stunbombs once more. I really think we as orks need to incorporate this into our play more to unleash this potential for engagement opening and continual chasing. I feel like they will combo really well with the mekboy because they can stun vehicles from long range and it will serve the mek super well in his unique vehicle sniping ability.
I also think the warboss stands to gain a lot from stikkbommas stunning more frequently as he is able to pull off a build that provides all of its AV through melee (warboss powerclaw, slugga nob does respectable damage to transports, stormboy nob heavy melee with ardboyz for protection against walkers) and might even have room for a double stikkbomma T2 opening or a stikkbomma followed by tankbustas or even more exciting to me, would be a stikkbomma followed by a deff dread (or two). Having that stun support for your melee resist walkers from long range I think is going to prove to be invaluable and I can't wait to test this out.

I think only 1 point about flash gitz might have been missed, that being they can focus down heros INCREDIBLY fast with their piercing weapons. I find them to be a great counter to tanky heros.
ComboBreaker
Level 0

Postby ComboBreaker » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 10:21 am

I have troubles dealing with barbed strangler on tyranids. Any advice?
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 12:41 pm

ComboBreaker wrote:I have troubles dealing with barbed strangler on tyranids. Any advice?

Most people do, they're quite potent against orks. Avoid blobbing your shootas as hard as you can, amd keep all your units moving so they only get hit by the edge of the AOE. Use big shootas to suppress them and then try to move in with a hero or painboy to tie them up. Keep sluggas behind your shoot as to counterinitiate on hormagaunts, they get suppressed too easily by the BS to effectively use vs the warriors in my opinion. Stormboyz are also very good in that matchup since they can close the distancr immediately. You want to avoid overextending against that because the AOE suppression can realllly punish units that are out of place.
ComboBreaker
Level 0

Postby ComboBreaker » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 9:41 am

Crewfinity wrote:
ComboBreaker wrote:I have troubles dealing with barbed strangler on tyranids. Any advice?

Most people do, they're quite potent against orks. Avoid blobbing your shootas as hard as you can, amd keep all your units moving so they only get hit by the edge of the AOE. Use big shootas to suppress them and then try to move in with a hero or painboy to tie them up. Keep sluggas behind your shoot as to counterinitiate on hormagaunts, they get suppressed too easily by the BS to effectively use vs the warriors in my opinion. Stormboyz are also very good in that matchup since they can close the distancr immediately. You want to avoid overextending against that because the AOE suppression can realllly punish units that are out of place.

They are a giant pain in the arse because orks in general have a bit of trouble shutting down multiple T1 supression platforms, and you can't outflank these guys, since they don't need to set up. To make things worse, they still deal reasonable ammounts of melee damage, tried tying them up with shoota squad only to get obliterated in melee(

I think that next time against double barbed I'll go storms and dok. Or get 1 lootas and play passively-protect gens until rushed T2 deff dred punish time.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 1:33 pm

Two barbed stranglers costs 100 power. You should be able to out tech that very easily with standard ork play.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 2:38 pm

ComboBreaker wrote:
Crewfinity wrote:

They are a giant pain in the arse because orks in general have a bit of trouble shutting down multiple T1 supression platforms, and you can't outflank these guys, since they don't need to set up. To make things worse, they still deal reasonable ammounts of melee damage, tried tying them up with shoota squad only to get obliterated in melee(

I think that next time against double barbed I'll go storms and dok. Or get 1 lootas and play passively-protect gens until rushed T2 deff dred punish time.

storm boyz and warboss charge along with sluggas rek barbed warriors or u can go for t2 quick truck or deffi
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 2:54 pm

It's higly dependant on your hero, with the mek you want to tele in and tie them up while having your army ready to fight otherwise the mek will die to termas and his hero.

The Knob has a very easy time, either you land in a good stun nade or the super easy way is his knife, which has a long range stun, you can stun the model with the strangler and either tie it up or follow up with a stun nade on it.

WB is quite braindead, you'll want a lot of wargear on him anyway, so gear him up with angry bitz, 1 of the armors and if you feel like it bang bang hammer and just let it chase them.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 8:01 pm

2x slugga, 1x shoota with shoota nob prioritised over big shoota. Then loota+storms vs HT. storms+painboy vs LA/RA.

Get your burnas in T1. They shit on nids.

Bang bang hammer always on WB. It fucks nids up so hard and vs a TG alongside storms+2x sluggas it is ridiculously good. Cybork if you are vs the HT to stun him and counter that charge, otherwise spiky for more tankiness. Angry bitz did get nerfed recently so... You might be better off waiting until T2 to get the trophy rack. Depends really, not sure yet.

Lekky armour+Deffgun vs HT. Batty pack/big shoota vs LA/RA.

KN go knife and betta kombat kit. Use the knife stun on the BSWB lead model.

You should always get the shoota nob in T1 and the burnas on your sluggas in T1 but what time you get them is up for you to experiment with.

Come T2 you get a wartrukk and a weirdboy, unless they are LA in which case you get a deff-dread, but not if they have both a venom brood and a TG, only if they have one or the other, otherwise just stick to trukk+WeBo. Obviously gets nobs on your melee shit ASAP. Big shootas I usually get in mid T2. Not too important in this MU.

Honestly, I think vs 2x sluggas raveners are a far greater threat than a BSWB. HT is also by a long-shot the hardest hero to defeat due to the basic synapse, kb immunity, cheap anti-melee options (whereas the RA has to get two wargears to be remotely threatening to melee).
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 8:48 pm

Tex wrote:Two barbed stranglers costs 100 power. You should be able to out tech that very easily with standard ork play.

that is a lot of power in spent in t1 indeed for nids . in fact i think def dread is about 60 power so may be it can be good
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 9:36 am

I have tryed this for only 2 times, and worked well also. Double Deff Dreads. That's what I am saying.

I am going for this build with only Mekboy since he has great tools for supporting these 2 walkers. Kult of Speed, Battery Pack and repair support.

I am directly rushing for T2 as a first step and getting the first one as soon as possible. It takes only 35 seconds to arrive. Then, I am getting the burnaz for power bash. You may think that it might be better idea to save the burnaz and bitz's money for the second one, but it is a golden chance to bash power farms. Don't worry, second ones arrivel time won't matter that much.

Then I am getting the second one and using Rampage ability. Costs only 25 red to use. Gives an amazing speed increase, very scary if you use 2 of them at once. You can basicially tie up every AV threat with them, and dealing with rest of the army very easly since there will be chaos in the middle of enemy army.

Mekboy can use that battery pack heal if any of them is under danger. You can fall back with Rampage if it is not on cooldown, or just use the cult of speed.

Each Deffdread does 70 dps heavy melee, makes 140 at total, nearly as much as a Dreadnought klaw. With another AV source, like beamy of Mek, you can deal with another walker.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”