OM vs Eldar - Really Struggle

Strategy and L2P topics.
Hutsy
Level 2

OM vs Eldar - Really Struggle

Postby Hutsy » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 7:04 pm

If I'm facing Eldar I know I'm in for a tough time regardless.

As soon as I see banshees, I go for the melee upgrade on my first SS otherwise they get obliterated. Even with the melee upgrade, they get munched but less so.

Their mobility of course really messes me up but ultimately I can't see any real counters to them - especially early game.

If I go Purgation to try and suppress, they get out-ranged by Avengers.

Any advice?
Oddnerd
Level 4

Re: OM vs Eldar - Really Struggle

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:28 pm

I don't play a lot of GK, but I will say that last time I tried it, enfeeble will essentially hard counter a shee squad as long as you have some good piercing damage available.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 11:53 pm

To be fair to you OP,

Eldar vs OM is the hardest match-up that OM have by far.

It is extremely difficult. Firstly, I do not recommend attempting to fight banshees in melee at all. Even with nemesis focus they are not good enough due to the power melee of the banshees. In addition to that the melee strike squads are not great vs eldar either since shurikens are so amazing, rangers so quick and DA have fleet+nades to repel melee.

I would go for psybolt strike squad vs eldar.

Enfeeble can be used to control the banshees as Oddnerd has already mentioned. Whilst they are suppressed focus fire them down with your strike squad and your

At present the issue you will have is that you then face an issue of not really being able to counter a combination of melee investment on the eldar hero + shurikens on top of the shees. If they spam DA it is fine as psybolt strike squads will trade very well with them and you can literally afford to get 2 of them if they go 3 DA.

The more fearsome build is 1/2 DA, shees, 2x shuriken. One shuriken is easy to deal with by getting the armour that grants the brother-captain the nemesis vortex ability. Use that to knock the shuriken into you ranged units and damage it, focus fire it and force it off. If there is another though you are now stumped.

This issue will be alleviated next patch where operatives will be given a role as a hard set-up-team counter. This will leave you with operatives to deal with both shurikens and either 2x SS+2x IST against a heavy dire avenger build, or 2x IST, SS and purgs against (or even a third IST) vs a double shuriken build with a melee hero that also needs to be dealt with. Enfeeble will be handy whenever melee is giving you an issue. It is the bro-caps t1 anti-melee wargear.

Enfeeble = anti-melee
Force sword = Force multiplier and punishes heavy infantry
Aegis = counters ranged infantry spam by allowing the BC to tie ranged units up for ageeees.
Vortex = counters 1 set-up-team, and is also a small melee deterrent as knockback on demand can help nemesis focus strike squad win melee fights, but that is quite unreliable due to the delay.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Hutsy
Level 2

Postby Hutsy » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 7:18 pm

Thank you very much guys!

Literally never used Enfeeble as I tend to go Psychic Lash when there are set up teams that allow the grabbing of the gunner and Unending Purge to couple with Ageis and Purify abilities on the SS.

Will have to give that a spin so thanks for the advice.

I found a similar issue with Sluggas but I think (from memory) the Melee SS seemed to handle them well enough.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 11:55 pm

without nobs, sluggas only have 60 MS, so SS can easily get specials on them. Come T2, SS will become useless in melee though. Always go ranged
Fas est ab hoste doceri

Return to “Strategy Discussion”