How to beat Eldar as Chaos (early game)

Strategy and L2P topics.
Woodenplank
Level 1

How to beat Eldar as Chaos (early game)

Postby Woodenplank » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:26 pm

I tend to play Plague Champion, and whenver I face Eldar I invariably fail miserably.

When I get double CSM, they tend to just get tied up and chopped to bits by Banshee/Warlock combo (or Farseer for that matter).
When I get Havocs, they knockback-shoot them with Rangers and then fleet in with DA grenades and/or Banshees to kill my Havocs. Even if I keep a melee/Aspiring Champion squad of 'tics near the Havocs to help when Banshees engage, the Heretics do eventually lose to Banshees any way.
If I go Raptors to jump DA/Rangers, then the Banshees are right there waiting for them. And again; that power melee frikkin hurts.
Even if I get something cheesy like several 'nade launcher Heretics, they usually just get picked off by rangers, engaged by Banshees, or wasted by DA grenades.
And if I try any sort of defensive "sit back and wait for them" under worship; then the Rangers just start picking models off my CSM/heretics/Havocs.

So...
Advice? Please :(

-------

P.S.
I know this post sounds super butthurt, but that's because it is. I'm not calling Eldar OP or anything like that, I'm just saying that I get fucked every time I play against them.
Rostam
Level 4

Re: How to beat Eldar as Chaos (early game)

Postby Rostam » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:51 pm

in 1v1
the normal build would be 2x Heretics , 1x CSM , then havocs or raptors (depending if there is warlock or not)
pc is slow by nature so better to use it defensively and use the bolter with tic support and focus fire it with csm (less map control in nature)
if there are rangers and shuriken raptors are good. if multiple shees and pain in the ass wl then it is time for havocs
MOK and raptors are good vs eldar (especailly mok csm due to fastness)

in t2 it gets good since dread is a good option especaily vs wraith lord with tic and ac havoc support and pc fist does wonders vs shees and warlock
blood letters vs multiple sut and ranger play in t2 with ton global and tic worship and pm vs falcon . in t3 predator is the best choice especaily with especailzed marks (mon vs infintry when there is lots of av - mok vs infintry when there is less killy av - mot vs vehichles) that is if u need to go t3 as chaos, since chaos has great t2

PS:nothing wrong if you call loldar op :P
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
An'grathul
Level 1

Postby An'grathul » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 7:23 am

First off I'm going to shamelessly invite you to our Proving Grounds Discord; a great place to discuss strategy. I've seen you start many posts of this nature and I think you'll be well served by our strategy discussion channel.

https://discord.gg/TRCa8WR

Secondly; to answer the question. Chaos vs Eldar is very commander dependant, each Chaos commander has at least one tool to really put the hurt on T1 Eldar.

CL has his underslung flamer upgrade, which bleeds Eldar like no tomorrow. He's a moving tank that hardly cares about DA damage and often requires shees or a shuriken to drive off. Provided banshees try to close with him he can put up a more than capable fight, even win if his kill the weak is solid. Eldar are often forced to devote quite some units to driving him off and you can use your units to push elsewhere.

PC's default bolter is anathema to Eldar models, plague nades can dissuade shees, or a well placed turret can completely wreck T1 Eldar. Only the immolator blade of the warlock hurts it, but with PC repair support it will live.
In late T1 touch of nurgle becomes available, and it can get most Eldar infantry supermurdered, allowing for a good shot at a crucial engagement.

CS is more difficult, but can ruin Eldar's day by teleporting all over the place, dislodging shurikens or last hitting retreating models, even moreso with sword of flame. Doombolts are a real tool for softening up any Eldar infantry. Raptors or tics with the flame buff are far from easy prey for shees, and if the ladies get whittled down their efficiency drops hard.

I'm not going to write a whole essay on Chaos T1 army comp vs Eldar, Rostam touched on some good points there; what I will add though is add a note on player dependency.
I haven't seen any replay so I only have your description to go off of, but before you get lost on a matchup also consider who you're fighting. Knocking units back with kinetic into a fleeted nade and stuff like that is very high level stuff. Part of your struggles may be up to a significant disparity in experience between yourself with Chaos and your opponent with Eldar.

If you want to discuss things in detail definitely join us on Discord. We have plenty of veterans to discuss strategy and fellow aspirants for practice!
Embrace game balance or not, it embraces you.
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 10:30 am

Don't go raptors unless against warp spider but even then its very risky, farseer will punish it way harder than warlock
gl tics and havocs are decent butg you have to position yourself really well, i personally wouldn't go for noisemarines
in t2 do not get a fucking dread it will get shutdown incredibly hard by warp spiders, get an early bc and worship it properly andi t's going to do much better anyway
pms and mok havocs in t2 are sufficient av
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Postby Thibix Magnus » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 11:17 am

give a try to fetid armor too, micro-friendly amazingly long AoE control, a really reliable solution to simultaneous hero-shee charges
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 9:10 pm

I think the key to winning the early game against eldar is knowing how to fully utilize your heretics. Banshees are the biggest threat that you'll have to deal with in T1, and none of your units can go toe-to-toe with them in melee. Even with AC, tics are not going to win a brawl against banshees, that's not really their role.

Instead, you want to make full use of their doomblast to keep banshees suppressed and moving slowly, while your other units deal damage. Move your tics in, doomblast, then move them back out before they take too much damage. Repeat this process while your CSM/havocs are shooting the banshees down.
It's best to play less aggressively with your tics and leave them further back, providing worship support until they have to come in and tie up the banshees.

I also find that raptors can be very good in this matchup. The key to using them well is to make sure they dont get tied up alone with shees - use them with a squad of heretics, have your raptors attack DA/Shurican while your tics keep any banshees of their back.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 10:43 pm

Crewfinity wrote:Banshees are the biggest threat that you'll have to deal with in T1, and none of your units can go toe-to-toe with them in melee. Even with AC, tics are not going to win a brawl against banshee

ac tics beat aspect banshees actually, unless the banshees get some crazy specials and focus down the ac
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 11:03 am

Fast tech to fist marines...that seems to work...

Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone, now I think I need to practice some more 1v1 (instead of getting carried in team-games).

I must admit I prefer 2xCSM over 2xHeretics, but I realize that the tics probably offer more utility, which is all-important against tricky Eldar.
Only issue is that, nooblord that I am, I get confused between which Heretic squad is worshipping, which is melee and which is ranged (if I upgrade), yada yada retreat the wrong unit and go to bed crying.

Any way, thanks a lot all! Feel a little more prepared now :)

Return to “Strategy Discussion”