Looking for a specific file

Modding discussion.
Private Hix
Level 1

Looking for a specific file

Postby Private Hix » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 6:44 am

Hello,
I wasn't sure if this should warrant a whole topic on its own, but then I figured "Eh, what the heck? I'll probably be asking this question a few times"

Anyway, I have been searching for a specific .bfx file but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where I can find the .bfx file for the tracers of the Space Marine 'Tactical Squad''s "Kraken Bolts" ability? (the one that turns their bolter fire red and accentuates the red tracer)
Black Relic
Level 4

Re: Looking for a specific file

Postby Black Relic » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 7:59 pm

I am pretty sure its in <root>/<my mod name>/Data/art/actions/munition_type/or_shoota_special.

Because Kraken Rounds change the munition of the weapon when you look at the ability.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 9:01 pm

Black Relic wrote:I am pretty sure its in <root>/<my mod name>/Data/art/actions/munition_type/or_shoota_special.

Because Kraken Rounds change the munition of the weapon when you look at the ability.

Ah thanks! I'll take a look at that one tonight.

I might have gotten my FX mixed up, does the "Eternal War" upgrade for the 'Chaos Space Marines' change their Bolter FX to the same FX as Kraken rounds? If not, do you know where that one is too?
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 12:05 am

No i don't think it does. It just adds a animator_action to the CSM. If you want to change their weapon fire look go to the Kraken Round ability. And pretty much copy and insert the stuff outside of the apply_modifier_action and you should be good.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 12:49 am

Thanks Relic! I'll come back if/when I need help finding some more :)
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 11:06 pm

Sorry for double-posting, but I still can't seem to find the .bfx file I'm looking for.

for clarification, check out the video below. Look at the 'Sternguard' squad's weapon tracer FX towards the top of the screen, the red bolter fire, I'm looking for that .bfx tracer file.

https://youtu.be/RRlHLkqKstE?t=23m26s
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 5:25 am

The tracer that they use is in Data/actions/tracers/ch/fx_bolter_ff_tracer.

And regular tactical marines tracer switches to the one i listed above when kraken rounds is used.

Maybe look in Data/fx/fx_tracers/chaos? It might be ch_ff_tracer.bfx in that sub folder. But it should be somewhere in there.
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 6:32 am

Black Relic wrote:The tracer that they use is in Data/actions/tracers/ch/fx_bolter_ff_tracer.

And regular tactical marines tracer switches to the one i listed above when kraken rounds is used.

Maybe look in Data/fx/fx_tracers/chaos? It might be ch_ff_tracer.bfx in that sub folder. But it should be somewhere in there.

AHA, thank you, found it! just needed the name and found it right away haha.

Where is it in the modding toolbox that I can see what FX a weapon uses? Or even, what weapon/wargear a unit uses?
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 9:15 am

I use cope's toolbox.

And then scroll to Data and open all the folders. I have a fair amount of experience just looking through the damn thing so i could add more icons to the mini map. Sadly i could only figure out how to change existing ones rather than add more. ;(
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 8:54 pm

Black Relic wrote:I use cope's toolbox.

And then scroll to Data and open all the folders.

Ah alright, but how can I tell what FX apply to which unit? I tried to find what FX the Space Marine scouts use for their bolters as a test by looking in their corresponding pvp folder, however I did not see anything in their file that specified what wargear they use. Where is the info regarding what wargear a select unit uses stored?
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:01 pm

The wargear used by the scouts is in their ebps file under wargear_ext, which will lead to the wargear, which will in turn lead to a weapon. The fx file is under "fx" in the weapon file.

You should be able to find the .bfx tracers under DATA\art\actions\tracers
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:41 pm

Wise Windu wrote:The wargear used by the scouts is in their ebps file under wargear_ext, which will lead to the wargear, which will in turn lead to a weapon. The fx file is under "fx" in the weapon file.

You should be able to find the .bfx tracers under DATA\art\actions\tracers

Thanks! So I traced the file path to the "fx_bolter_tracer.action" file, then I changed the fx file that the .action file it is referencing to the new .bfx file I created. However, it didn't seem to work.. I tried a few different things to get it to work but the scouts would either just fire their default tracers or would fire no tracers at all..

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I figured out the issue, I was saving my files but not saving the 'chunks' associated with a few of the files. That was the issue haha :P

Return to “Modding”