I'm bored and gonna make some models

Discussion on technical issues (installation, launching).
egewithin
Level 5

I'm bored and gonna make some models

Postby egewithin » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 11:35 am

However, I just installed Santos thing but when I launch model editor it says ''No Modules Found!'' What is the thing that I am missing?
Wise Windu

Re: I'm bored and gonna make some models

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 11:41 am

Did you install it in the Retribution\Tools folder?
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:06 pm

Wise Windu wrote:Did you install it in the Retribution\Tools folder?

Not yet. I am going to find it and put it in there.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:07 pm

That'd be why it's giving you that error then.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:08 pm

Okay, I putted it in there. But still the same eror. Do I have to download another thing?
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:22 pm

Don't think so. In your Tools folder, you have the folder 'SantosTools2'? That error means it can't find the .module files in your Retribution folder I think.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:40 pm

Wise Windu wrote:Don't think so. In your Tools folder, you have the folder 'SantosTools2'? That error means it can't find the .module files in your Retribution folder I think.

I searched it. There are no module files in tools. But outside. Should I Put them in?
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:45 pm

No, they're just supposed to be in your Retribution folder. They don't have to be in your Tools folder. What folders do you have inside of the Tools folder?
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:52 pm

Wise Windu wrote:No, they're just supposed to be in your Retribution folder. They don't have to be in your Tools folder. What folders do you have inside of the Tools folder?

Its in your PM.
Marutectz
Level 1

Postby Marutectz » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 5:23 pm

Hey, I just found out you can use the Santos Model Editor to create or attempt to make models.

However I encountered the problem in literally I installed the Model Editor and tried to click on the application to get 'No Modules Found.'

I have the program installed under SteamApps/Common/DoW2 Retribution/Tools

So the question I have, is what the hell do I do now?

I have no experience in using this, or even remotely attempting to create a custom model. I really want to attempt to make something new for Imperial Guard or possibly try to get a fundamental experience in getting this new hobby of mine to work out. Since I do have time and I am using World Builder at a slower pace to contribute more to the mod. Not to mention, might as well do something worthy, so I hope someone can at least guide me in this process. Again I have nothing to back me up to say I know what I'm doing, I'm very squeamish when it comes down to editing files in general and I'm nervous as all hell.

Worst case scenario, I'll download team viewer for someone to literally correct my mistakes in just getting this thing to work.
To Die in the Death Korps, is to Atone for Sins our forefathers have committed against the Emperor. To Die is to Live.

Dawn of War Eternal Crusade Referral Code: EC-54OK8W9O12HQL
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 7:54 pm

Try extracting this folder and pasting it into your SantosTools2 folder (so Tools\SantosTools2) and run the Model Editor application that's in the folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/i4czw ... torDEV.rar

By the way, probably important to point out, this application will only allow you to make tweaks to what textures are applied to models, as well as where the fx and stuff happen. You'll need some version of Autodesk 3DS Max to actually make new models from scratch.
Marutectz
Level 1

Postby Marutectz » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 4:47 am

Well I cleared the old folders and just added in everything fresh.

Yet it still comes up with an error stating that no modules were found.

I made a new folder within DoW2 Retribution dubbed as 'Santos' and all the files are located within it. So why isn't it picking up any sort of models? Unless I have to rename an actual file to match a type for it to pick up on it. World Builder works fine but I just want to test the maps I'll create in action, so what's the process for that by any chance?

Figured to ask this before I go to bed and wake up to take a shot at this in the morning.
To Die in the Death Korps, is to Atone for Sins our forefathers have committed against the Emperor. To Die is to Live.

Dawn of War Eternal Crusade Referral Code: EC-54OK8W9O12HQL
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 4:52 am

The folder I linked should be placed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dawn of War II - Retribution\Tools\SantosTools2\ folder. If it's in the main Retribution folder, it won't work.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:21 pm

Wise Windu wrote:The folder I linked should be placed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dawn of War II - Retribution\Tools\SantosTools2\ folder. If it's in the main Retribution folder, it won't work.

Sorry for the huge necro, but I couldn't find anyone else knowledgeable about this topic. I basically want to edit some retribution models but I can't even get the model editor to work. I don't get the "no modules" error stated here, but I cannot load any models.

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

I have santos tools 2 which gives me the ModelEditorDEV folder. It's in the tools section as well so I'm pretty stumped.. DoW2 retribution is my favourite game and I really want to learn how to export these models to edit them. :/
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:55 pm

Could you go through the process of what exactly you've done so far?
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:59 pm

Wise Windu wrote:Could you go through the process of what exactly you've done so far?

So far I've downloaded Santos tools, installed it but got said error.. so then I found a "later" version which had the DEV ending, still same errors. The programs I have on hand are SGA reader 2, 3DSMax and santos tools 2.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 12:19 am

You haven't extracted the model files from the game archives? You can't access the models if they're still packaged in the archive files.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 12:53 am

Wise Windu wrote:You haven't extracted the model files from the game archives? You can't access the models if they're still packaged in the archive files.

I read the readme and extracted the required files, said something along the lines of art/defaults, shaders, config etc. Supposedly I'm to put these in a "mod" folder which I don't have. I've extracted those from the 000_data.sga in archives, and also tried extracting an imp guard folder I found which seems to have animations, models etc without any luck viewing in the model editor. It's like 9AM where I live so I may be missing something else, been at this all night.. I'll take a nap and attempt again and see if I can come back with progress.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 10:35 am

Wise Windu wrote:You haven't extracted the model files from the game archives? You can't access the models if they're still packaged in the archive files.

So I put the extracted files into my data folder and it pops up in the model editor's open function, can navigate to the .models and open, but then I still get the errors of not being able to load textures/animations/rest of the files so the model is still non-existant, even though I extracted the entire data.sga which should include all of the required materials? According to the log, It successfully loads things like actions, behaviours, transitions, motion trees which I think are related to the ingame things like cover, melee, shooting.. But anything model related doesn't load. The error I get for loading textures is "Failed to load texture "" (D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA)"

Update: Apparently I can load some wargear, though some have textures and some don't, but never a unit model.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 4:03 pm

Sylpheed wrote:Update: Apparently I can load some wargear, though some have textures and some don't, but never a unit model.
Often times, if you open a model, the original texture file paths will still be part of the model, so you have to update the texture files paths in the materials tab.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 4:17 pm

Wise Windu wrote:
Sylpheed wrote:Update: Apparently I can load some wargear, though some have textures and some don't, but never a unit model.
Often times, if you open a model, the original texture file paths will still be part of the model, so you have to update the texture files paths in the materials tab.

Makes sense, but the materials tab doesn't let me edit anything on model editor regardless of what models I open. The good news is I found a full unit model under war gear - Death korps skin. It seems to have bones, no animations though. I used the army painter to change some colours for fun and want to export it, so I can get some practice using the model in 3DS Max / blender but it's greyed out. Any way to export the file in a format that's readable for these programs?

Also thanks for taking the time to reply, it helps a lot.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 5:31 pm

Sylpheed wrote:Any way to export the file in a format that's readable for these programs?
You should be able to open it directly in 3DS Max with Santos' 3DS Max Scripts.

Not sure what the issue could be. I'd recommend just making a separate .module file to act as a mod and then configure it to line up with the art files if you haven't done that already. I can send you a copy of mine to see how it looks if you want. I always had trouble opening the art files when trying to do it through the main game .module (DOW2). I just have a separate mod that has most files in the game extracted as a lab build for whatever changes I want to try.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 5:34 pm

Wise Windu wrote:
Sylpheed wrote:Any way to export the file in a format that's readable for these programs?
You should be able to open it directly in 3DS Max with Santos' 3DS Max Scripts.

Not sure what the issue could be. I'd recommend just making a separate .module file to act as a mod and then configure it to line up with the art files if you haven't done that already. I can send you a copy of mine to see how it looks if you want. I always had trouble opening the art files when trying to do it through the main game .module (DOW2). I just have a separate mod that has most files in the game extracted as a lab build for whatever changes I want to try.

Hmm, what version of 3DS are you using? I got the latest one, and running the script didn't work for me. I'll try it again and see what happens. Also, if it's not too much effort I'd definitely give it a try!

Update: Was able to use the import function but it gives me this error when trying to important an imp guardsman model:

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

And when I try to import things I can see in the model editor, such as guns/gear/etc, it just crashes my 3dsmax. My guess is it's the same problem I'm having with the model editor?
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 7:31 pm

Oh right, it's most optimal to use with 3DS Max 9, although I think people have gotten it to work in 10. Not sure how it works with newer versions.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:20 pm

Wise Windu wrote:Oh right, it's most optimal to use with 3DS Max 9, although I think people have gotten it to work in 10. Not sure how it works with newer versions.

Think you were right, got 2009 and the error does not occur anymore but I'm still getting the no model issue, just gives me some bones and still crashes on loading wargear. I'm gonna try to make a module specifically for this, or just wait till you can upload yours to see if that works instead.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:28 pm

Here's mine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Ktn5 ... sp=sharing

If you have any questions on how the folders and such are structured, let me know.

Sylpheed wrote:Think you were right, got 2009 and the error does not occur anymore but I'm still getting the no model issue, just gives me some bones and still crashes on loading wargear.
Not sure, I haven't used 3DS Max too much myself. You'd be better off asking Garrick, sterling, and a couple others if they're still around. I've successfully imported models before, but never successfully exported skinned (just exported some texture-less skeletons to allow for new skins), so not sure how much help I can be on that front.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 9:03 pm

Wise Windu wrote:Here's mine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Ktn5 ... sp=sharing

If you have any questions on how the folders and such are structured, let me know.

Sylpheed wrote:Think you were right, got 2009 and the error does not occur anymore but I'm still getting the no model issue, just gives me some bones and still crashes on loading wargear.
Not sure, I haven't used 3DS Max too much myself. You'd be better off asking Garrick, sterling, and a couple others if they're still around. I've successfully imported models before, but never successfully exported skinned (just exported some texture-less skeletons to allow for new skins), so not sure how much help I can be on that front.

I'll see what I can do, thanks so far for everything. I'll keep at it and report back if I can't get anywhere.. Right now I just want to be able to import, add weapons/gear to models and export so I can make cool screen shots with models and stuff. Never knew DoW2 models would be THIS hard..

Edit: Not much luck today, gotta get ready for work. So far I can import IG bones for all units, no textures or models. However, I was able to load the IG HQ model and IG baneblade fully textured and rigged.. So I'm not sure why only units and wargear (which still crashes 3ds) refuse to work. I made sure to extract every art/badge/default, shader and config folder from the SGA archives so the textures should be in there, I think? More testing tomorrow I guess..
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 1:10 am

Sylpheed wrote:Never knew DoW2 models would be THIS hard..
Heh yeah, it's not the most mod friendly game.
Sylpheed
Level 1

Postby Sylpheed » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 3:47 pm

Wise Windu wrote:
Sylpheed wrote:Never knew DoW2 models would be THIS hard..
Heh yeah, it's not the most mod friendly game.

May I ask what version of santos scripts for 3ds you are using? And which version of model editor. For me, Model editor is 0.5 and scripts are 1.1, which was released in 2010. Pretty sure retribution was released later around 2012 or so, maybe has something to do with it? I don't really know, but I'm drawing blanks and want to see if these are outdated or not.

I think I'm getting really close.. I'm able to save the attachments on my models in the model editor, so basically I can give my imp guardmens their respective armor, packs, and guns etc. Now the only problem left is that I still cannot import the modelset into 3DS Max, it crashes everytime I try to import a model with wargear on it, or even wargear itself. So all I can think of is something is wrong on my end, or script is outdated. :T Using your module and setting it up separately pretty much eliminated the module editor errors as well.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm using the ModelEditorDEV version, and this is a link to the scripts I have: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Return to “Technical Issues”