DOW3 free weekend

GuruSkippy
Level 2

DOW3 free weekend

Postby GuruSkippy » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:18 pm

I know most of you here don't care,

But, there is a free weekend from October 19, 2017 – 17:00:00 UTC to October 22, 2017 – 20:00:00 UTC.

With 3 new Elite units : Ironclad Dreadnought, Wraithseer, and Lifta Dropa battlewagon coming in a patch this Thursday.
3 new maps, some free skins
and a balance/gameplay patch increasing survivability of line infantry units in the early game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74yPEod ... verified=1

Hope to see some of you on the field !
Last edited by GuruSkippy on Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Re: DOW3 free weekend

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:40 pm

Did they nerf Eldar speed allowing them to be everywhere with no penalties or Orks Waagh killing everything ridiculousness or Ork stun/taunt spam or improve the gameplay to make it more tactical and less spammy or improve controls so your units don't all just lump up after an attack move order or make a spectator mode or fix the replays showing incorrect information? The main things I didn't like about the game. If those were fixed I would give it another try.
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:52 pm

Dunno when you left,
But Eldar speed has been nerfed a long time ago, so much that they pretty much disappeared of automatch and had to be buffed again.
Waaagh power has also been nerfed previous patch, reducing its power, increasing the waaagh upgrade cost, and nerfing ork tech cost.
Ork taunt/stun, well nob taunt range has been nerfed a long time ago, and no one is complaining about stuns lately. They nerfed scout spam with stun grenades last patch btw, haven't seen a scout spam since.
Less spammy, they are still working on it, actually right now, it's really T1 spammy, but Relic hopes the Thursday patch will change it a little bit, and if it doesn't, they will change ressource or refund in phase 1 in an other patch.
Still no spectator mode though. Not sure about replays wrong information ? I very rarely watch replays. I think it's fine now, but don't quote me on that.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:17 pm

Last edited by Ace of Swords on Thu 19 Oct, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:24 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:53 pm

I'll probably take another look at it, but if it feels like the same I'll just be leaving again. Don't know why they don't have a spectator mode, automated tournaments or anything else that a community can form around.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:43 pm

The college teachers of Ontario are on strike so I have some free time, I'll probably give it a second chance. I expect nothing though.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 1:33 am

I will give it a shot, but it felt like more SC2 :/
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 10:37 am

Oddnerd wrote:The college teachers of Ontario are on strike so I have some free time, I'll probably give it a second chance. I expect nothing though.

hah. and half of california is on fire, i also have free time
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 8:55 pm

The abilits are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid...
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:32 am

I changed my mind. Going to be sticking with DoW 2. The game just feels so much better.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 2:49 am

Changed my mind again. I'll play then if I don't like it I'll post why on the forums.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:20 pm

Looked at the notes and it's not enough for me to give it a try.
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:23 pm

I will, I will not, I will, I will not ?
You should be renamed Princess Paranoid :p
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 12:34 am

Don't insult SC2 like that Cyris... its a highly polished and very competitive game.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 8:41 am

GuruSkippy wrote:You should be renamed Princess Paranoid :p

paranoid princess, then
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 8:57 am

pardon my french @Shroom

And Tex, this game has received enough hate for a century. If you don't like it, just move on.
I posted this to inform people that the game is on trial for free, not to see people bash it, again.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 11:01 am

GuruSkippy wrote:I posted this to inform people that the game is on trial for free, not to see people bash it, again.

Thanks for the notification
I might at some point in the future (mb 4-5 months) start casting some dow3 games (it is not very active atm)
but for now I am waiting for a DLC and/or a new Race like Necrons/Chaos/IG for dow3
All and all I Hope that all of the Dow series (Dow1,2,3) would become more active as the time goes on and improve
Also Good luck with the Dow3 games
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 3:24 pm

GuruSkippy wrote:pardon my french @Shroom

And Tex, this game has received enough hate for a century. If you don't like it, just move on.
I posted this to inform people that the game is on trial for free, not to see people bash it, again.

To be honest, I don't think it has deserved anywhere enough hate given how absolutely trash it is.

At this point I have to wonder if it even constitutes a 'game'. Can something so shallow, mindless and dull constitute a game? Breaking boundaries with DOW3!
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 3:40 am

It's off season for sPvP in Guild Wars 2 right now and the playerbase for DoW 3 went up due to the free weekend so I'll give the game another try.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 8:05 pm

my goal was to wait until 20$... now i don't really care enough to buy it

maybe next time
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 3:26 am

Well, I did as I said I would. Well, as I said I would in one of my posts.

https://community.dawnofwar.com/discuss ... n/p1?new=1
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 4:25 am

no one probably cares much but i said my piece on why i left. in the same thread paranoid started. Use the link above if you want to read it.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:52 am

Actually, I think your post is pretty usefull and constructive @Black_Relic, and I must say I appreciated, and even agreed with a lot of points.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:59 am

@Guru

Since the thread was locked I will post my bit on the cover system here since you asked about it in your post.

Imo Cover has always been a way for a player to use to try to gain the upper hand quickly by properly moving around efficiently. Properly moving around and using the environment to win. Not by already being set up in the area but drawing the enemy with you as you run to a possible more advantageous position. Cover should be more present than it is now. I don't like the bubble because people won't attack it unless they heavily outnumber the enemy which takes time. I don't like sitting around in my RTS game if me or the enemy has the bubble cover.
Having dow1 cover is what i think they should implement. Not dow2 cover because just as you have said dow3 just can't handle that. Have negative, light and heavy cover so the player can try to use them as an advantage and play with the map. I am ok with the bubble cover as long as they place it in a place that makes sense. Sort of like a Last Stand for that unit if they capture the cover in time.

Stealth cover to be fair is not used for scouting often outside the first 3 minutes. Infiltrated units are used for that. People atm have been using the stealth cover to making killing a squad painfully difficult by weaving in and out of the cover until they can get some support for the injured squad. Honestly Ambushing has always been a thing that i loved doing. Luring your enemy down a way and if they are unsuspecting to a flank WHAM! But most stealth cover imo is poorly placed in in a direct foot path. Stealth cover imo should be something you go out of your way to use. And it should not be invisible everything that touches it nor should it be you stay hidden until the enemy joins you in the stealth cover. And if you are in the Stealth cover give a attack bonus to the attackers like the Scout Strike doctrine and reward the player for careful thinking and forethought.

Also more dynamic maps like having more capturing gates to open and close or destroying/creating bridges would be interesting to see how players create their own map to give them the advantage.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 6:15 pm

Dow1 cover in dow3, totally agree, I wrote about it plenty of times. I don't mind the bubbles, but dow1 covers should have been here too.
Stealth cover not used for scouting after 3 minutes ? sorry, but you're totally wrong. They are used, a LOT.

Return to “General Discussion”