Historic Battles

Generic non-balance topics.
viggih
Level 2

Historic Battles

Postby viggih » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 4:59 pm

This is just an idea that I've had rolling around in my head for a few days and I'm putting it up here for anyone who wants to steal it.

The idea is a format for casting Elite mod Replays and goes thusly: You set a reenactment of an historic 40k Battle and see how it goes.

The only rule that goes with it is fluffy wargear such as Yarrick (Xenos
Power Claw,Bionic Eye, Aura of Discipline), Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka ((Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armour, Boss Pole)(Some wargear is up to interpretation)).

This setup can be used if the numerous wars for Armageddon are being reenacted. There is a lot of fluff that can
be shown through DoW2 and some poeple might enjoy it.

Names would optional but preferred.
Indrid

Re: Historic Battles

Postby Indrid » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah thought about this alot. We tried a Battle for/of Macragge in a 1000 VP game and it was going great.... until the game froze for everyone.

It's a really nice idea but it is quite difficult to arrange 3v3s with balanced teams, and then there's no guarantee you'll get a decent game out of it for casting.

If you forget about casting though and have a bunch of regulars it could be a lot of fun.
Alexwellace
Level 1

Postby Alexwellace » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 6:03 pm

It does sound like a whole load of fun, for example I would love to re-enact the Battle for Lyanden. 3 Eldar players against3 Tyranid players where the Eldar must have at least one Wraithguard or Wraithlord each while the Tyranids must get one, but only one Swarmlord. Same with the Eldar Avatar.

Or maybe the Battle for Macragge, where no Termies or Land Raiders can be bought but the Tyranids players can only have 1 MC each.

Steam name: {LOE} Alexwellace if you are interested.
viggih
Level 2

Postby viggih » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 6:25 pm

Indrid wrote:Yeah thought about this alot. We tried a Battle for/of Macragge in a 1000 VP game and it was going great.... until the game froze for everyone.

It's a really nice idea but it is quite difficult to arrange 3v3s with balanced teams, and then there's no guarantee you'll get a decent game out of it for casting.

If you forget about casting though and have a bunch of regulars it could be a lot of fun.

Well, the idea was that this can work in all formats 1v1,2v2, free-for-all etc. It would mostly be the case of getting good representatives from a faction/commander and have them know the rules ahead of time
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 6:36 pm

Indrid wrote:Yeah thought about this alot. We tried a Battle for/of Macragge in a 1000 VP game and it was going great.... until the game froze for everyone.

I still remember that game...

It was so damn good :(
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 1:21 am

Caeltos wrote:
I still remember that game...

...until it froze for everyone and not getting a replay because of the freeze. :evil:
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 6:14 pm

This sounds really cool man
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:24 pm

....so redo the fight?

Heck you might even want to make some custom maps for these scenarios.

Which brings me to the weird tangent that maybe the game could use more game modes. Annihilate is there but just sort of... yeah.... and Free for All is rarely played :/
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 12:37 am

I would very much like for annihilate to get some love. It used to be a very viable strategy to kill somebody's base, but now its just impossible to do without mass tankbustas.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 4:55 am

that defense aura means that it's easier to defend your base right now. can they be repaired?
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 6:39 am

Atlas wrote:....so redo the fight?

Heck you might even want to make some custom maps for these scenarios.

Which brings me to the weird tangent that maybe the game could use more game modes. Annihilate is there but just sort of... yeah.... and Free for All is rarely played :/

Sure lets make a map sepcific for 1 hero/race condition only...sounds totally reasonable to me putting about 2 months of work into that... :roll:
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 8:26 am

no. it'd have to be a normal multiplayer map because of what you brought up but with a particular theme, and maybe a gimmick or two in a different version.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 7:46 pm

^^

Return to “Community General Discussion”