What we expect from this mod?

Generic non-balance topics.
Faultron
Level 3

What we expect from this mod?

Postby Faultron » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi everybody!

I have returned to this game and played some games in retail and elite mod too after a very long break (like 5 yrs).
The break was a good decision and needed, i had a burnout. I can finally have fun with the game again, no matter the outcome.

How balanced is this mod compare to retail?

what i expected and still expect from this mod is simply bug fixing and some balance tweaks. the extra visual customization is also nice, but i hate the fact that FC has a helmet for example which is forced upon us.
I dislike that the mod tries/tried to constanlty change the meta and add new race/unit.

Maybe there is a change nowadays in this behavior i dont rly know
its saddens me that the community is split between retail and elite, and the negativity towards each other in general.
Farseer/Doombringer/Falcon/Mindwar IGN: Ypulse
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Re: What we expect from this mod?

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 3:45 am

This is a balanced focused mod

We don't like retail because it has bad balance, more bugs, less maps, less units, less races, no tournaments, no casts, no streams, no community that does anything

They don't constantly add new units/races. They added them all a long time ago and haven't added any more since. A new unit will only be added if it serves a purpose the army is lacking and is not cause more units = good. Example: Whirlwind is large AoE with little damage on a vehicle while the Pdev is large damage in a smaller AoE on an infantry unit.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 11:52 am

Faultron wrote:Hi everybody!

I have returned to this game and played some games in retail and elite mod too after a very long break (like 5 yrs).
The break was a good decision and needed, i had a burnout. I can finally have fun with the game again, no matter the outcome.

How balanced is this mod compare to retail?

what i expected and still expect from this mod is simply bug fixing and some balance tweaks. the extra visual customization is also nice, but i hate the fact that FC has a helmet for example which is forced upon us.
I dislike that the mod tries/tried to constanlty change the meta and add new race/unit.

Maybe there is a change nowadays in this behavior i dont rly know
its saddens me that the community is split between retail and elite, and the negativity towards each other in general.

Welcome back! I hope you are doing alright after your burn-out and are taking care of yourself. Better than before that is.

I also expect the mod to be a bug fixing and balance. I see that happening in this mod.

While it's surely not ideal that the community is split between elite-mod and retail, I don't experience a real community in retail. Luckily (!!!!) there has been a bunch of individuals that took over the abandoned project which was DOW2-retail. That's the way I see it.

The opposite of a chaning meta is a stagnant meta in my opinion. And that's rather boring. A sport stays alive if it changes constantly.

My two cents to that topic.

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 1:31 pm

Hey Faultron and welcome to our community.

The helmet on FC issue is a thing to be fair. I don't even play enough FC to remember if any of the elite skins remove his helmet, surely some must and that would be the ideal situation so you a choice on the matter?

But yeah, the way the mod has been designed over the past few years has been with the mantra of it intending to feel like DLC for the base game, rather than actually feeling like a mod. Changing metas is a big part of that though. Whenever an RTS releases new DLC they often do a whole slew of changes to the base units, sometimes even adding new ones as we've seen happen in DOW2 in fact and DOW1 when they had their respective expansions.

And yeah the problem with retail players, well, I accept that many of them are casual and not really that interested in the game; most probably aren't even aware of the mod. But those who choose to stick in retail even at high level and play that I don't understand. By doing that they're just supporting the game being dead. There's no community there, no competitive scene, the skill level is super low, and the meta is completely stagnant. The optimal build is entirely predictable and has been for years + there actively choosing to play a change with less polish and more bugs. I mean it just makes no sense =L
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 2:24 pm

Torpid wrote:Hey Faultron and welcome to our community.

The helmet on FC issue is a thing to be fair. I don't even play enough FC to remember if any of the elite skins remove his helmet, surely some must and that would be the ideal situation so you a choice on the matter?

=L

iirc the ones which remove it are the Elite skin of the space wolfs (but instead he wears a bear head) and the salamanders elite skin. In addition the helmets of the FC of elite skin blood angels and black templars are the worst I think (derp helmet and the bucket).
"Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 4:36 pm

Oh another addition: I also think that frequent content updates are good and needed to keep the mod alive. I also see that this is a lot of work though and expect those updates to be far in between (so for example 3.0 and then 3.5 or something like that).

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 8:17 pm

Elite mod was the only thing that kept me playing this game for so long without I would have left a long time ago, not only does it fixs bugs but adds new units and options for each race which add diffent ways to play and just overall not the same thing each time unlike retail.

Retail not been update, change or even cared for by relic for 6 years and I can not see why players would stick with it at all, elite have had it ups and downs mainly downs lately but it still better than retail and elite is improving again to where it used to be and hopeful those players will come back and see for them self's.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.

Return to “Community General Discussion”