Catachan booby trap sight range too high

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Yabbaman
Level 2

Catachan booby trap sight range too high

Postby Yabbaman » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 8:37 pm

Played a game today where the opposition wouldn't detonate their booby trap and instead used that as a permanent recon on our side of map (middle point on Estia). Just so happened that I did not have a detector unit, so arty was raining down there non-stop, found out why only on viewing the replay. So is it really necessary for it to have that much sight range? It's already quite powerful in its intended role.
Torpid

Re: Catachan booby trap sight range too high

Postby Torpid » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 10:37 pm

Well without the sight range you'd have to have uber awareness to instantly notice there is an enemy within a close range to the IED and blow it up in time, within a few seconds.

It also gives the IED some other utility, shame on you for not having a detector vs catachans. IEDs are energy and time intensive to lay and catachans are a very energy intensive squad.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 11:02 pm

I did ask for a sight nerf a while ago for ieds, they pretty easy to spam only cost 40 energy with a 1min cooldown so you 'don't lose any energy, easily with levels since you get more and regen as well but its ig so they need more ways to control the game.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Yabbaman
Level 2

Postby Yabbaman » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 1:39 am

Torpid wrote:Well without the sight range you'd have to have uber awareness to instantly notice there is an enemy within a close range to the IED and blow it up in time, within a few seconds.

It also gives the IED some other utility, shame on you for not having a detector vs catachans. IEDs are energy and time intensive to lay and catachans are a very energy intensive squad.

I am familiar with this game mechanic feature in relic's games from well before dow2. In company of heroes demo charges had nil sight range and you had to lay them near points (or some other vantage positions, like garrisons) in order to be able to wipe squads. Time intensiviness doesn't count, this game is time intensive to play.

boss wrote:I did ask for a sight nerf a while ago for ieds, they pretty easy to spam only cost 40 energy with a 1min cooldown so you 'don't lose any energy, easily with levels since you get more and regen as well but its ig so they need more ways to control the game.

Not exactly asking to nerf their damage and yes they are plenty powerful without any additional utility.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 1:25 pm

I said sight nerf not damage :?
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 3:13 pm

It definitively feels op to me that the trap lays forever if not detonated/destroyed.

I would set a timer on them and when it expires the trap just disappears (or explodes with little damage? or even full damage?).

A 4 minutes timer sounds alright for a starter: if you intend to blow it up it'll likely take less than 4 minutes for your opponent to walk nearby. If you want intelligence then you'll need to commit a bit more and plant it regularly. I said 4 but anything from 3 to 6 really.
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 4:15 pm

Meanwhile, poor ravener tunnels have no sight, no stealth, 65 energy, takes forever to cooldown and feeds red and xp to even the weakest unit that finds it. Demo charge doing one and only one function does not sound so unfair.
Yabbaman
Level 2

Postby Yabbaman » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 1:09 am

boss wrote:I said sight nerf not damage :?

read "slight" in your post, sorry
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:57 am

oLev wrote:Meanwhile, poor ravener tunnels have no sight, no stealth, 65 energy, takes forever to cooldown and feeds red and xp to even the weakest unit that finds it. Demo charge doing one and only one function does not sound so unfair.

I don't think that you need a detector to spot a fucking bug tunnel that 3 meter tall vipers and cockroaches coming out. It is kind of large and hard to hide.

If only this game had some hiding mechanics at the beggining that useses green plants to hide or under water traps etc. At least jungle maps would have some kind of sense.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:51 am

Well We could make tunnels only reveal if an enemy unit comes near by it. That unit does not need to be a detector either. Did something similar to my stealth cover mechanic in my mod. Infantry Units are infiltrated (excluding larger infantry models like terminators and the raveners infiltration makes it look odd so they cannot use the stealth cover either) so long as there are no enemy units within 15 radius. Also revealed by a detector to though.

Infiltration for the tunnels but loses stealth if an enemy unit within 30 radius shows up.

As for the booby trap. I didn't like how it was auto target able. But due to it being hard to see when it is revealed i guess that is ok. In fact i would like all mines to have the same "revealed" look making them hard to stop. And maybe both a auto detonating trigger as well as a manual trigger like the IED. But that might be too much to ask for lol.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 6:21 am

Infiltration for tunnels is probably one of the stupidest things I heard on this forum , they would just be better free webway gates. All you need to do for tunnels is reduce red given and xp down to what it used to be a while ago for the cool down increase simply, also tyranids are not cockroaches :cry: .

As for catachans booby traps just reduce the sight range so they are not free map hacks as well they seem to have standed sight so I say 12 sight range is what they should be,

Return to “Balance Discussion”