Whirlwind Development Thread

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Element
Level 3

Whirlwind Development Thread

Postby Element » Fri 08 Mar, 2019 3:45 pm

Hey there everyone, ever since the introduction of the whirlwind, It has been a nice unit to field in 2v2s/3v3s but almost never in 1v1s, which is a shame because it really is a good unit, given its source output application to deal with massive infantry, and have the nice Hunter Killer Missile to boot; that being said, Looking through previous cast, I've come to think that the main reason for its lack of play in 1v1s comes down to missing one critical element which would enable it to be able compete for the artillery spot along with the plasma cannon team.

Notably it's just missing an Anti-Garrisoned Unit Counter attack which will give the unit a slight more dimension other than disruption and the one clutch shot to take out weakened vehicle type units. Something soft but more so attuned to the relational manner of being slightly less than consistently capable of being used. This way the whirlwind and Plasma Cannon teams are decided to be taken based upon the need for different applications of dealing with countering a certain situation. The Plasma Cannon Team Unit would be dubbed- "The Hard Counter", where as the The Whrilwind would be dubbed "The Soft Counter". Pretty much this can be done by giving the unit the option to Shoot one either "Smoke Missile" at an area to decrease its sight radius which last some 15- 20s. With a 30- 40s C.D., and the Other option being an "Incendiary Rocket", for some like 120- 150 req/ 30 power Upgrade *NOTICE- We would choose one of these options to put in the game NOT both, dependent upon which seems to attain the desired result*, which does flame damage to a unit within the A.o.E. location for some 10- 15s. Dependent upon the tics. And even if this doesn't kill the squad given they choose not to move, which I would say shouldn't be the objective of such a change, just forcing garrisoned units to have to move in itself may very well come to help out a lot as well.

With that, I am curious of everyone's feedback. I hope everyone is doing well, Take care.
-Fathom
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."
boss
Level 3

Re: Whirlwind Development Thread

Postby boss » Tue 19 Mar, 2019 10:05 pm

Whirlwind was designed to be a disruption unit however most sm unit have disruption as it is so what the point of this unit then?
There is none needs a whole rework to ever be useful,
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 4:20 am

Well alright, what would a rework look like? I'm curious.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 5:48 am

maybe check the multiple past threads made on the subject
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 6:40 am

I never used it because it just gets flanked and destroyed in 1v1's. In team games it works since its more laned so easier to defend. It needs a defensive ability of some kind. Maybe a temporary speed boost so you can get out if you think someone is coming but if you mess up a melta will still slow you down and you die.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 7:53 am

boss wrote:Whirlwind was designed to be a disruption unit however most sm unit have disruption as it is so what the point of this unit then?
There is none needs a whole rework to ever be useful,

^ this 100%.

What role is this unit meant to fill in the SM roster? 90% of SM T2 does disruption, most of it from range and all of those units offer some other utility or are less squishy to make them a better investment.

If people want it to see more play then what does SM T2 struggle with that building the whirlwind could address? Or what new play options could whirlwind builds open up that would be interesting and not incredibly aggravating for an opponent to deal with?
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 11:23 pm

Large scale disruption. Good for when people blob whole armies or when 2 or 3 are mixed. It's the reason why it's used in team games.

Return to “Balance Discussion”