Zoanthrope somewhat Underwhelming?

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Element
Level 3

Zoanthrope somewhat Underwhelming?

Postby Element » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 10:05 am

I really like this unit, and think as far its role, this unit is quite complimentary to Tyranids especially when it comes to providing a much needed long range artillery unit to help against Set Up Teams, that being said...Whener I come to happen to bring this unit out upon the field...It's impact seems to be a little bit underhwelming given what you need to make the unit work as far making sure it's never isolated/caught up in a retreat where in which it will pretty much die immediately because this unit has like a +40% damage modifier it seems like upon it without its shield. Not to mention the wind up/C.D. in amongst shots> the burst from the shot is long/>requires several urst to threaten a wipe while something for say like a plasma cannon/noiseblaster shot/Artillery barrage from a manticore may wipe the squad instantly. Those units seem much more impactful for what they are meant to do.

Now i understand there is no set up for this team/There is no arc with the shot upon firing/ instant shot travel time? faster rate of fire. the warp lance ability but, Id go far as to say those balance factors are justly warranted/relatively well acknowledged when there is a xhance of a wipe upon the other end of the shot/not to mention the on demand C.C.abilities which arise from using wuch units.

The Warp lance is also very underwhelming damage wise now that it has no snare. Personally I'd just like to see its damage slightly increased/cooldown amongst shots reduced/Warp lance reworked to actually be somewhat effective towards dealing with vehicles?
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."
Telos
Level 2

Re: Zoanthrope somewhat Underwhelming?

Postby Telos » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 10:56 am

The Zoanthrope is possibly the most important and powerful unit in the nid roster.

Before you consider what you'd like it to do, first consider what it does.

The Zoanthrope is a glass cannon unit that does long-range AoE damage with no setup time, relatively low reload, decent damage, no friendly fire (unique amongst artillery), a shield that prevents knockback, as well as a health regen synapse (that becomes one of the strongest in the game with levels) and is also the only unit that can heal the Carnifex in the field.

It's the nid's T2 answer to garrisons, turrets, setup teams, sustainability, repair, artillery damage, and soft AV. It's an extremely important unit and has become even moreso with 2.9.1.

Focused warp blast is a bit underwhelming but since it no longer snares it should be primarily used to snipe weakened vehicles. It has a pretty low cd and if the zoan is safe enough without shield it can sometimes manage two shots.

Because of its dual nature as both an artillery unit and a support unit, it's extremely hard to balance. And currently it's balanced around having two of them. By T3, if you have 2 of them and a Neuro they can wipe setup teams in 2-3 volleys. This is a big deal considering all the other utility they bring and don't do friendly fire. You can't buff their damage because then spamming them would be too strong (like it was when could build 3).

You're right that they're very weak and if they're caught out of position they're pretty much dead. I don't like this either but your desire to make them better at killing stuff wouldn't really address this... Nids are less about wiping squads and more about causing enough bleed for them to reach death blob levels and then roll over the opposition.

Personally, I'd like to see them balanced more around having three (so less damage/synapse), make them cheaper and maybe make the Focused Warp Blast a T2 upgrade. They die rather easily now so you need a fair bit of micro skill to coordinate your slow from toxin sac-terms and throwing in support immediately if any enemy units manage to close in on it. If it's caught in retreat it's just dead, even from most ranged fire. But having some EMC Ravs permanently on guard duty for them seems to work well, at least for ensuring they're able to retreat safely. This is a lot to dedicate to one unit imo.
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 2:02 pm

Also remember that it costs only 400 / 40 to get it, which is super cheap for T2. So easy to get 2 of them and cause havoc upon enemy.

Element wrote:I really like this unit, and think as far its role, this unit is quite complimentary to Tyranids especially when...

We honestly don't care how you look to Zoans, or any unit at all. Give us good arguments, or don't do anything at all.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
Element
Level 3

Postby Element » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 3:15 pm

I will look to see how they perform when 2 are fielded, and return to the thread then, given I definitely agree with y9u that we should be making sure they aren't O.P upon being able to field multiple of them. I suually only take one of them, but it seems the whole point is to take several? so I will havr to check it out. And if I come back with some concrete evidence to talk about then I will and if I don't, then there's nothing to say. I appreciate the both of you for taking out out time to leave feedback, talk about what it does out upon the field, & your constructive criticisms
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 3:34 pm

They are the only T2 unit that isn't extremely situational or rubbish. I would say get 2 of them in 3v3 by default and only get something else if that unit is needed to counter something specific the enemy has built.

The healing aura makes life so much easier, especially with your high-hp unit like warriors (also synergizes hilariously well with RA regenerate armour since it is a multiplier x regen), and they shut down ranged blobs and SUTs. They are also the nids only T1-T2 source of anti-HI ranged damage aside from the RA's corrosive devourer.

Get them against certain races in 1v1 as well - many players will get 2 SUTs, especially eldar, in the hopes that you will have to bring the fight to them on their terms. Having a zoan means you can force them to come to you and fight on your terms.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 4:23 am

Element wrote:I will look to see how they perform when 2 are fielded, and return to the thread then...

I am not advising you to build two, I'm just pointing out to you how they're balanced and why they're balanced that way.

You should try to find ways to fit one into your builds because I think that's how the meta is moving, but in situations where your opponent is going heavy on melee, or vehicles then obviously Venoms/Guard/Genes would be better suited.

Once you have Fexes stomping around and if you can't end the game at that point then you'll want zoans for support anyway, so already having one out from T2 would help a lot.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 2:16 pm

Only problem with Zoanthropes atm is the fact they lost there snare and until the balance team if there is one and if they got brains too they would add it back again.

You always needed 1 zoan in every matchup anyways.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Adila
Level 3

Postby Adila » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 4:17 pm

I would be up to add an extra upgrade in T3 which would reintroduce the snare or even add it into Symbiosis Upgrade, we cant just readd it the way it was before. There was a reason it was removed and that is very long range snares with relativly good dmg on it too.
Element
Level 3

Postby Element » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 6:02 pm

I am not advising you to build two, I'm just pointing out to you how they're balanced and why they're balanced that way.

You should try to find ways to fit one into your builds because I think that's how the meta is moving, but in situations where your opponent is going heavy on melee, or vehicles then obviously Venoms/Guard/Genes would be better suited.

Once you have Fexes stomping around and if you can't end the game at that point then you'll want zoans for support anyway, so already having one out from T2 would help a lot.

Well if that's the case, frankly Telos, one is just not good enough in the sense that is a very underwhelming unit by itself. and you need to field two of them for them to be noticed (damage wise by any means at all.) Giving them their snare back would be probably good in a sense of making them more so versatile to which you can drop the health regen because that's really just not needed. Then make it an upgrade purchase to gain access to the warp lance ability if it really did cause that many problems before as some kind of nerf tax. Because as it stands to be right now, I sure as heck wouldn't run one by itself. 2 of them do seem to do well though.

"Because I choose to."

Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 6:37 pm

Adila wrote:I would be up to add an extra upgrade in T3 which would reintroduce the snare or even add it into Symbiosis Upgrade, we cant just readd it the way it was before. There was a reason it was removed and that is very long range snares with relativly good dmg on it too.

I'm in the total opposite camp. I'm concerned with how many responsibilities are now on the Zoanthrope and think we should be diversifying the duties onto the rest of the roster as a whole rather than making the Zoanthrope an absolutely necessary pillar unit.

But that is a question of design, not balance. If we're really looking to reintroduce a long range, late-game snare to the Nid roster I'd rather convert the VC Fex Bioplasma to a targeted ability that slows the hit target. That way, you don't HAVE to carry a Zoan.

Obviously, this is just my opinion.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 5:11 am

Atlas wrote:I'm in the total opposite camp. I'm concerned with how many responsibilities are now on the Zoanthrope and think we should be diversifying the duties onto the rest of the roster as a whole rather than making the Zoanthrope an absolutely necessary pillar unit.

But that is a question of design, not balance. If we're really looking to reintroduce a long range, late-game snare to the Nid roster I'd rather convert the VC Fex Bioplasma to a targeted ability that slows the hit target. That way, you don't HAVE to carry a Zoan.

Obviously, this is just my opinion.

I'm also in this camp, I don't actually agree that zoans were a requirement in the previous patch (they'd only make occasional cameos in 1v1), but I think they kind of are now. They just cover too many areas that nids are lacking in. But spreading out utility to the roster would require a pretty drastic overhaul of their design as you said, and it seems like there's really not much interest in doing that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did suggest making the VC Fex plasma have some kind of slow/snare but people seemed to think that was OP/unnecessary. So IDK.

Element wrote:Well if that's the case, frankly Telos, one is just not good enough in the sense that is a very underwhelming unit by itself. and you need to field two of them for them to be noticed (damage wise by any means at all.) Giving them their snare back would be probably good in a sense of making them more so versatile to which you can drop the health regen because that's really just not needed. Then make it an upgrade purchase to gain access to the warp lance ability if it really did cause that many problems before as some kind of nerf tax. Because as it stands to be right now, I sure as heck wouldn't run one by itself. 2 of them do seem to do well though.

Yes, but the point is the fact that you could build two means that buffing their damage would necessitate either capping them at one or removing their other abilities. Their regen aura is a big deal. Nids don't have many universal support options in the field so while you may not notice synapse, it does make an impact. You should be thinking of them more as a support unit. Their damage is a bonus on top of the damage you're doing with your other units (that aren't taking friendly fire). You can't think of them like other artillery because for other artillery their whole purpose is just damage/knockback.

I'd be fine with zoans getting their snare back, even with a damage nerf to the ability. A lot of the builds I've been trying forego Warriors but doing so means you have no access to vehicle snares whatsoever. You can put out good damage with the right combo of units, but kind of rely on path blocking vehicles to tie them down. Rippers do this ok but it's never a reliable thing.
Element
Level 3

Postby Element » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 6:00 am

I'm also in this camp, I don't actually agree that zoans were a requirement in the previous patch (they'd only make occasional cameos in 1v1), but I think they kind of are now. They just cover too many areas that nids are lacking in. But spreading out utility to the roster would require a pretty drastic overhaul of their design as you said, and it seems like there's really not much interest in doing that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did suggest making the VC Fex plasma have some kind of slow/snare but people seemed to think that was OP/unnecessary. So IDK.

I very much agree with assessment here as well, other than the Venom Brood, even I have to come to recognize how lackluster the tyrant guard and genestealers are which I will have to go make a post about in the genestealer thread, after having played them for a little while to agree with the initial posters point about them taking too much damage before making into melee/C.C. And just today, I kid you Not, I was playing against BestN00B and I had bought 2 tyrant guard, and they were promptly raped by 2 units of blood letters, underworship, I mean I coldn't even take down the shrine with one Tyrant guard while the other distracted the infantry under repair support, the damage was so insignificant. I mean that is just bad, unacceptable bad, not to mention they were being supported/to be noted not by my whole force, but a commander and 1 of my termagaunt squads.while the other termagaunts, hormos, and warriors back at base healing. yet even then, they should not have lost so badly as they did.

Yes, but the point is the fact that you could build two means that buffing their damage would necessitate either capping them at one or removing their other abilities. Their regen aura is a big deal. Nids don't have many universal support options in the field so while you may not notice synapse, it does make an impact. You should be thinking of them more as a support unit. Their damage is a bonus on top of the damage you're doing with your other units (that aren't taking friendly fire). You can't think of them like other artillery because for other artillery their whole purpose is just damage.

I'd be fine with zoans getting their snare back, even with a damage nerf to the ability. A lot of the builds I've been trying forego Warriors but doing so means you have no access to vehicle snares whatsoever. You can put out good damage with the right combo of units, but kind of rely on path blocking vehicles to tie them down. Rippers do this ok but it's never a reliable thing.

I do recognize what they are meant to be in regards to being a support like Unit given it's synapse Aura, but at the end of the day, artillery is artillery, they are the big guns meant to help in the break through of a siege, and that shouldn't be forgotten, given this requires damage. but from what I'm gathering I think just giving them there snare back as an upgrade in T2 would suffice without any damage buffs.

"Because I choose to."

Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 7:09 am

Ok I'd like a rep of that 2 TG game just to see what actually happened. I mean it is Bestnoob but it sounds like mistakes were made on that one.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 7:20 am

Element wrote:I was playing against BestN00B and I had bought 2 tyrant guard, and they were promptly raped by 2 units of blood letters, underworship, I mean I coldn't even take down the shrine with one Tyrant guard while the other distracted the infantry under repair support, the damage was so insignificant. I mean that is just bad, unacceptable bad, not to mention they were being supported/to be noted not by my whole force, but a commander and 1 of my termagaunt squads.while the other termagaunts, hormos, and warriors back at base healing. yet even then, they should not have lost so badly as they did.

This sounds about right... Daemons under worship are no joke. Two bloodletters demand respect, worship or not but especially if there's worship. It'd be necessary to see a replay but if there was a shrine and tics worshipping it with two BL's there then you'd need more than two Guard's, a Term and hero to displace it. The Tyrant Guard doesn't have melee resist so it needs to choose what it engages with care, especially if it's engaging power melee squads which they've always performed poorly against. I haven't seen the replay so I'm not saying you couldn't of won it, and we're missing a lot of info like squad levels, heroes involved, etc. but from your description it seems like a stretch to expect it to be a cakewalk.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 8:35 am

Thoughtout the whole of dawn of war you always needed a zoan for tyranids and that will never change so stop trying.

Having to wait till t3 for a snare is one of the worst things I heard in a long time cos you would have already lost in t2, hell you gave gk a beamy deffgun lasscanon yet still tyranids are still not allowed there zoan snare back just shows how well you guys do balancing
The race gk that have av across the whole roster while tyranids only get venom brood and tyrant guard for av along with a warriors snare yet gk get the long range snare while tyranids nope wtf.
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 9:05 am

Is it just me or was zoan range nerfed to be equivalent to SUTs?
Feels like instead of neuro range being increased to zoan levels as was discussed it was zoan that was nerfed to neuro levels instead.
Element
Level 3

Postby Element » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 9:10 am

houghtout the whole of dawn of war you always needed a zoan for tyranids and that will never change so stop trying.

Having to wait till t3 for a snare is one of the worst things I heard in a long time cos you would have already lost in t2, hell you gave gk a beamy deffgun lasscanon yet still tyranids are still not allowed there zoan snare back just shows how well you guys do balancing
The race gk that have av across the whole roster while tyranids only get venom brood and tyrant guard for av along with a warriors snare yet gk get the long range snare while tyranids nope wtf.

There's nothing wrong with having zoans in your force composition, but I do believe having various options to choose from as opposed to overutilizing one unit naturally would be of greater benefit to the faction regarding a sense of of predictability. I'm not disagreeing with you when it comes to giving them a snare in T2, but to say every time I play as/play against Tyranids I'd like to only come across 2x- Zoans & Venombrood well, I can't say that will come to be much fun for anybody as in compliment with the other units Ranged Burst Dps they begin to completely delete anything that is not a terminator variant off the field. Because that is certainly what I am coming to asses to be the best way in which to play them, given half the T2 roster is almost unplayable. and the Lictor which is almost never seen in a game is located in T3 as opposed to being present as an opportunistic call-in unit for T2 which give their playstyle some further greater sense of identity.

"Because I choose to."

Adila
Level 3

Postby Adila » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 2:29 pm

Venoms in T2 got a 33% Dmg buff and the Fex Venom got buffed as well last patch. You have rippers + warriors for slows, I dont think another slow is needet but if ppl really want one there is only T3 options for that. GK AV is getting nerfed in the next patch.
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 8:42 pm

Zoan confirmed stealth nerfed from 60 to 50 range in 2.9.1.
How can honest balance discussion occur when shit like this changes without anyone knowing and people argue from prior experience assuming it is still valid?
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 9:35 pm

oLev wrote:Zoan confirmed stealth nerfed from 60 to 50 range in 2.9.1.
How can honest balance discussion occur when shit like this changes without anyone knowing and people argue from prior experience assuming it is still valid?

Think I know what happen here zoan range should never been nerf but then I remember a change that should never have happened
Neurothrope:
Default attack range increased from 45 to 50.
Since it shares the same weapon as the zoan now gets reduce to 50 range ........................................... what even want me to say to this, just yet another bug that should not even be in cos the range change should never have happened in the first place just stupid.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 10:03 pm

Adila wrote:Venoms in T2 got a 33% Dmg buff and the Fex Venom got buffed as well last patch. You have rippers + warriors for slows, I dont think another slow is needet but if ppl really want one there is only T3 options for that. GK AV is getting nerfed in the next patch.

Venom brood got 10 more damage per hit amusing every shot hits you get about 240 damage per burst sounds good but again that amusing every shot hits all guys are alive and not getting punch in the face by bc and shit.

Idk why even say anything about venom fexs its av not got buffed at all its only got a small splash damage yaay it can shoot infantry now not going to help as av tho balance lead don't even know his own changes great, also that's t3 little point talking about t3 if you can't get there.

If you count rippers as snare my god maybe before you did stupid retarded changes to them they can count as a soft snare but now there just some dumb spam unit with no purpose good changes btw :x
Least you got the warriors stuff right 1/4 not bad

One simply way to give zoan snare back is to remove all is damage and let it snare again with a big cooldown then you can uncap it as well no more fwb killing tanks easy changes been saying it for years and ask any tyranid player what they want damage or a long range snare in t2 again 8-)
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 12:33 am

Adila wrote:Venoms in T2 got a 33% Dmg buff and the Fex Venom got buffed as well last patch. You have rippers + warriors for slows, I dont think another slow is needet but if ppl really want one there is only T3 options for that. GK AV is getting nerfed in the next patch.

Rippers don't appear to slow vehicles on attack when I use them. Unless you're referring to path blocking which is hardly a reliable tactic...
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 12:54 am

Telos wrote:

Rippers don't appear to slow vehicles on attack when I use them. Unless you're referring to path blocking which is hardly a reliable tactic...

They should. Let me know if they don't. Also, checked into it and the Zoan's main attack range is lower than intended. Will be fixed in 2.9.2.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 12:57 am

Seconding the rippers thing - if they do snare, it is so weakly that I don't notice it.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 8:09 am

I know they used to slow, but if they still do then it was nerfed to a point of being a practically unnoticeable now. How much should they be slowing for?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 10:53 pm

Telos wrote:I know they used to slow, but if they still do then it was nerfed to a point of being a practically unnoticeable now. How much should they be slowing for?

Should be +1.5% for some 5 or so seconds per bite? It should also stack on itself. I believe the enemy should have a little red debuff circle to confirm it works too.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Thu 04 Apr, 2019 5:25 am

Atlas wrote:Should be +1.5% for some 5 or so seconds per bite? It should also stack on itself. I believe the enemy should have a little red debuff circle to confirm it works too.

There's definitely no debuff indicator, and transports at least don't seem to have any problem rolling away at a decent speed from rippers.

Return to “Balance Discussion”