Techmarine Relay

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Raffa
Level 4

Techmarine Relay

Postby Raffa » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 5:34 pm

Overdue discussion, but one everybody and their mum's got an opinion on.

Is the Techmarine Relay fair for its price or insanely OP?

Depends on the game mode ofc. In 1v1 its fine, but in 2s and 3s its power spikes massively as massive blobs reinforce and retreat to it.

Experience from 2v2 and 3v3 is when players have been losing and really want to win a game, they start making relays which give such enormously good field presence both from the reinforcement and the fact it screws the retreat mechanic.

Yes you can counter relays, and the blobs around them of course. However it is much easier said than done and I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

Far as I'm concerned if you're building relays all bets are off on the quasi-broken stuff.

That means Global Silence :) possibly followed by Terminator spam.
Aertes
Level 3

Re: Techmarine Relay

Postby Aertes » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 5:51 pm

Turrets always gave me much more troubles than relay beacons and I counter both in the same way: not attacking frontally. Sometimes I even abadon a flank if its crowed with turrets and a relay, that means that player spent many resources in fortifying a static position, so he shouldn't have enough troops to help his partners and that's exactly what I go for in those situations. he may have secured a victory point, but there use to be another two and the game turns into a 3vs2.

Of course, attacking such positions with a full strike can also be good. Plasma cannons, blastmasters, wraithguards, and the like aided by an infiltrator to give them line of sight. Nothing new.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 6:00 pm

Make it T2, dunno why it's T1, it's not even a matter of Opness, it's just that a retreat beacon with reinforce + healing aura associated should be T2 by concept.
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 6:06 pm

IMHO, some effects shouldn't affect allied units except your own army. It's the only way to balance a bit team games without fuck 1v1 balance.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
David-CZ
Contributor

Postby David-CZ » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 7:04 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:Make it T2, dunno why it's T1, it's not even a matter of Opness, it's just that a retreat beacon with reinforce + healing aura associated should be T2 by concept.

Sounds reasonable. Just like you're not running around with units under all types of worship, only your own army should benefit from it.
Kcets
Level 1

Postby Kcets » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 2:01 am

Ace of Swords wrote:Make it T2, dunno why it's T1, it's not even a matter of Opness, it's just that a retreat beacon with reinforce + healing aura associated should be T2 by concept.

You hit the nail on the head. It's completely out of place in T1.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 2:51 am

Yep. +1 to Ace.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 4:33 am

The Relay is getting a price increase next patch as it is.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 8:20 am

+1 to Torpid's +1 to Ace.
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 8:43 am

I though i suggested TM relay to be shifted to T2 like Ages ago in a forum topic :| ? It hasn't been done yet
Batman V Superman : Dawn of Justice 2016
Wonder Woman/Justice League 2017 Movies, WB/DC bring it ON !!
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm far more inclined to go in the direction of not affecting allied teams. It's pretty impenetrable when there are a dickload of HI, Nids and the like all gathered there getting generous health regen and a reinforce point.

We're not all from the Iron Warriors Legion, siege warfare isn't exactly a team speciality.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Orkfaeller
Contributor

Postby Orkfaeller » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 1:44 pm

The Relay is allready getting a fairly big nerf in the upcoming patch. Could we please wait and check out how it changes the situation first befor loading additonal nerfs on it?

Return to “Balance Discussion”