FPS: Space Hulk Deathwing

This forum will probably suffice for this category.
Swift

Re: FPS: Space Hulk Deathwing

Postby Swift » Tue 10 May, 2016 9:38 pm

To distract from this:

For some reason it is on the Polish IGN channel but whatever.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 10 May, 2016 11:59 pm

Yeah sure, just post the exact same thing as in the original post again Swift :)
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 11 May, 2016 4:34 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Yeah sure, just post the exact same thing as in the original post again Swift :)

Oh, but it said one week ago on Youtube so i thought it was new :[
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 1:54 pm

The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 2:59 pm

Jeanstealers at it again to steel Terminator pants ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ) ... well lets See if We get also destructible enviroments and smart ai, actually looking forward to this :)
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 4:12 pm

Deathwing always looked good, shame I likely won't be able to play it.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 4:35 pm

dunno doesnt look cartooney enough, cant read the movements of the genestealers at all
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 5:19 pm

This looks sick. Secondary object is to buy this game. Primary is getting a better PC of cource. ;)
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Fri 18 Nov, 2016 4:54 pm

Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 18 Nov, 2016 5:01 pm

Looks really cool. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be another overly-ambitious 40k project and we get a popular game out of it.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 18 Nov, 2016 7:07 pm

I guess it will be like vermintide or left for dead, so basically not a heavily scripted campaign like cod, which i think is a good idea especially if you they want lots of replaybility.

Also:
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 12:55 am

Just bought it, going to play some beta now, looks pretty cool though.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 1:05 am

Okay, quick first impression:

Postive:

1. It nails the look and atmosphere of the Warhammer 40k universe

Negative:

1. The Terminators move way too fast
  2. Weapons spread way too much (especially the assault cannon)
  3. "Follow me" - is getting out of hand (play the beta and you'll know what I'm talking about)
  4. Melee feels useless (might have to do with the netcode) - there is basically no hit feedback on the enemies, Vermintide nailed that part
  5. No character customization/loot system - like different armor parts you could use (like Relic's Space Marine) or purity seals - a game like this needs customization, because what incentive would you have to play the game over and over again if there is no customization/loot
  6. Netcode seems kinda bad - it's P2P. so yeah, not that great
  7. Some of the soundeffects are mediocre at best - like the plasma cannon sound, which sounds way too weak

Verdict

=> They should listen to players right now, change the game accordingly and polish it a bit more and push back the release of the final product for about 3 - 6 months to gather enough feedback. I kinda doubt that this will happen though, which leads to the final question:

"Max, should I buy this game right now?" - No, don't, wait for the developers to fix their product or for a deep, deep sale. Because right now the game sadly isn't worth the asking price.
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 3:10 am

I've played it for about over an hour and sadly I haven't played any match for longer than ten minutes as every one ends in our death (which is fair enough) or a server disconnect (not internet, just the server, I'm not getting lag in game and my speed is fine) and even when we do die and I click the return button to go to the lobby it always ends in a server disconnect. The pings are also very high but i need to test this tomorrow as perhaps that was my connection.

So I'll put my verdict here:

The pros:

- Game looks pretty good, little bit of gnarliness on some textures but you have to look for it.
- Voice acting is good
- Game could well have a good 40k feel, but I haven't played through enough of any mission to know yet
- Optimisation: I run the game on max settings at a solid 60 on a GTX 1060 and i5 6600. It drops to the thirties in really really hectic fights but it bounces back to my monitor cap fast.

Cons:

- Disconnects galore, high ping servers, and I've crashed once so far
- Limited customisation
- The game uses bars to represent information, not numbers for things such as ping or weapon damage, which is really rather pointless
- Where is the chat button? I know you can chat in game because I've seen people write messages such as "My arm is fucked now can't don anything" etc, but after pressing every button on the keyboard I cannot open the chat when in a game, which means there is little communication outside of quick orders. It's not even in the keybindings menu
- The spread is a little bad for the assault cannon but it's balanced by it being so powerful. My biggest issue is the assault class with lightning claws who yes, kills most models in one hit, but is so very fragile you have to hide around corners if more than three hybrids are shooting you.
- When looking at distant objects they become very grainy and lose their crispness fast and I feel overall that the game's anti-aliasing isn't particularly good.
- Limited moves. it's alright playing the Librarian to start with, but since the Apo and Libby are limited to one per squad you get some pretty bog standard guys to use with only two melee animations, no special abilities until you unlock them (which I still can't figure out how the system works, the game never tells you anything except basic controls). The standard termies are left bereft of action excepting shooting. Also the Apo can't heal himself... why?

I'll post some screenshots of my game so you can see how it looks at 1080p max settings.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/0cvv5

As you can see in the below image the game's graphical fidelity fizzles out at distance and it quite apparent. I recommend turning your brightness down more than you would normally in order to both immerse yourself in the Space Hulk feel and hide the fuzziness from distant objects. The character models are generally good as are objects but the textures in many places are a little dull, including the terminator ones. But decide for yourself.

MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 9:56 am

The fizzyness is prolly thanks to the always on film grain...
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 12:43 pm

MaxPower wrote:The fizzyness is prolly thanks to the always on film grain...

Any way I can disable it? Have to go into the game files or something?
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 3:17 pm

I left some feedback on their forums

http://forum.spacehulk-deathwing.com/vi ... f=5&t=2787

Also an extra pro for us

- Terminators don't jump.
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 5:13 pm

Ok so I played some more today, about and hour and a half and it's certainly stabler. I played the mission a couple of times (still without completion as we either died or I got randomly disconnected) and it's an interesting game.

Some more pictures with brightness turned down: http://imgur.com/a/Jn1vl

Regarding the screenshots I was definitely a bit harsh. The game looks better in it's natural state than when clipped and posted online, there's a degree of artefacting going on that you don't get in game, and it is a nice looking one.

As for gameplay, teammates are generally not incompetent, just not used to playing it yet. Going lightning claws is a death sentence.

But the biggest lesson from it all is: The Apo carries the team via his heals. It's pretty much impossible to win if your Apo isn't on the ball.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 12:05 am

Man, got no time to play right now :(
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 8:29 am

I'd have to agree with Max's bottom line. I can't play more than 5 minutes without crashing. It seems like a sound issue as there are no graphic issues until a firefight starts up, and even then no frame drop, just straight up freezing for 5-10 seconds.

I even tried turning the graphics all to low and still had the same issue. Once enemies started shooting at me (not me at them) this popped up. Dunno what the deal is but pretty disappointed
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 2:34 pm

Praise the Emperor!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/298900/ ... 3889443554

Most of the issues from the Beta have been addressed, including drastic improvement of the loading times, optimisation of the general performances, improvement of certain interface and menu elements, sound-design changes (character voices), and fix of numerous bugs and nearly all occurrences of crashes.

sound-design changes (character voices)

"I will go ahead, follow me!"
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 5:09 pm

Well they pushed it back a few days, that's certainly a good thing. And it's now on my birfday :)

I humbly accept this gift from the machine gods
Fas est ab hoste doceri
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 5:17 pm

5 Days aint nearly enough time to fix the game tbh, because (atleast imho) the game is inherently flawed and needs to rebuilt, atleast partialy, from ground up. :/
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 5:36 pm

MaxPower wrote:5 Days aint nearly enough time to fix the game tbh, because (atleast imho) the game is inherently flawed and needs to rebuilt, atleast partialy, from ground up. :/

For good devs 5 days are enough, only relic takes 4 years to fix a simple bug as the HWT.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 9:19 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:
MaxPower wrote:5 Days aint nearly enough time to fix the game tbh, because (atleast imho) the game is inherently flawed and needs to rebuilt, atleast partialy, from ground up. :/

For good devs 5 days are enough, only relic takes 4 years to fix a simple bug as the HWT.

Okay, you said it yourself for good devs, I don't think that Streum On Studio is a particularly good dev. So far they've only made one game which was janky as fuck.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 10:26 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote:

Okay, you said it yourself for good devs, I don't think that Streum On Studio is a particularly good dev. So far they've only made one game which was janky as fuck.

In any case wish granted, game is delayed until 14 of december.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 11:07 pm

Well my wish would have been 6 months to rework some parts of the game from ground up. I don't think, as ive already mentioned, that these extra 5 days will help to improve what is inherently broken.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 11:10 pm

I guess we'll see, but the beta has significantly lowered my enthusiasm and expectations already. Even if it runs perfectly, the gameplay is lacking imo
Fas est ab hoste doceri
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 10:13 pm

Well, game is out and its still the same broken and uninspired game the beta was, hence I asked for a steam refund. The game is just not worth it for the current asking price.

Which is a shame, because I was really looking forward to playing this game, but since the beta already was really disappointing I wasn't too shocked to notice that they didn't fix anything for the full game (or atleast nothing that I've noticed).
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 2:42 pm

is there only 1 race to play in multiplayer ?
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy

Return to “Random Stuff”