A New Idea About Melta Guns

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
egewithin
Level 5

A New Idea About Melta Guns

Postby egewithin » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:23 pm

A great number of players agreed that anti-everything weapons are stupid. We could at least get over with '' Well, it has the range disadvantage? '' about melta guns for example. Untill today... I, firatwithin; came up with the greatest idea, so brilliant what you guys can never find it out all together in 100 years...

I just realised that, while eating fish suddenly; giving melta guns the same accuarcy mechanic of set up teams heavy bolters may actually work. Also fits the melta gun lore. Closer you get, better you hit. Lets try to fit it for melta guns.

Just imagine it, that would fix the stupid Fire Dragons' chase problems in a big possibility. The problem is; is it possible to do? Can the weapons be changed in that way?
Toilailee
Champion

Re: A New Idea About Melta Guns

Postby Toilailee » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:34 pm

Melta weapons already do more damage the closer you are afaik.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:01 pm

They do???????????? I am pretty sure melta guns dont. They just have short range
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:18 pm

Their damage modifier is the exact same throughout their ranges. At least for the melta units I've checked.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:57 am

I think you mean damage modifiers and not accuracy, but yeah, I think there are lore and balance reasons for doing so.
The Dragon Reborn
Level 1

Postby The Dragon Reborn » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 5:26 am

Must admit I don't have a huge problem with anti-all weapons, but would this change all units with melta damage type or is this specifically targeting hand held melta guns. For example would it change a Melta-Dread or just things like the Inquisitors Inferno Pistol....because should we really make the T3 Raptor upgrade even worse lol.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 5:48 pm

Of all the anti-all weapons in the game I think melta guns are actually fine, because their platforms are balanced. The only obvious exception is Fire Dragons but that is because of the ridiculous combination of their speed, rate of fire, knockback resistance and swathe of supporting abilities open to them from the rest of the Eldar roster.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 7:02 pm

/agree with hive.

Melta isn't intrinsically a problem (unlike autocannons) there's just slight balance concerns about FD's still lingering. Though the Inq melta could stand a small nerf too. Storm Troopers and Raptors are fine, as is the TM gun and SM melta dread. Not sure if there are any other meltas in the game, but the ones I just listed are all reasonable. Making a global change to melta would effect this in a bad way imo.

On that note, what if an autocannon damage type was added, which just reduces vehicle damage from 1.0 to .75? This would make autocannon (Chaos and IG) just as good as anti-swarm weapons, but a little weaker as AV. Could do the same damage type on psycannons too (in conjunction with other OM AV changes).
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 9:59 pm

I have been getting as close as possible with meltas since 2011... my entire life has been a lie.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 1:50 am

Toilailee wrote:I have been getting as close as possible with meltas since 2011... my entire life has been a lie.

The Dragon Reborn
Level 1

Postby The Dragon Reborn » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 5:15 am

Toilailee wrote:I have been getting as close as possible with meltas since 2011... my entire life has been a lie.

Melta Melee should be a thing haha.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 1:05 pm

Did you really never play the inquisitor and use her melta pistol? :P
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 12:58 am

Torpid wrote:

I did and I thought it was just plain op.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 1:33 am

Toilailee wrote:
Torpid wrote:

I did and I thought it was just plain op.

Hahahahahaha.

I can just imagine the outrage xD
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!

Return to “Balance Discussion”